Wednesday, June 13, 2012

An Interview with Hofstra Professor Bill McGee

Last week, I was lucky enough to sit down with Hofstra Creative Writing Professor, Bill McGee. A devoted parent and proud member of the Hofstra community, Prof. McGee was able to give a faculty member's perspective on what it means to be involved with Hofstra and to see University students develop.

Journalist and Hofstra University Creative Writing Professor, Bill McGee

Thank you for agreeing to do this interview, Bill.

Not a problem.

So, let’s get right to it: basically, the aim of our interview today is to give parents of incoming and current Hofstra students an insight into the faculty at the University. So, would you be able to speak on your experiences at Hofstra?

Well, I think it’s important to point out that not only have I been a teacher at Hofstra, but I’m also an alumnus.  I first entered Hofstra in 1982, graduated in 1984 with a degree in Creative Writing and so I have very strong ties to the school. In fact, when I entered grad school at Columbia in 1995 for an MFA in fiction, I started teaching at Hofstra.  I was there for a year part-time and in 2005 I wanted to get back into it so I reached out to see if there was an opening and luckily enough there was. I’ve been teaching here ever since – that’s for seven straight years, adjunct my whole time. Now adjuncts are limited to teaching two courses per semester so I’ve supplemented my time teaching with various other activities on campus, not least of which has been my role as an advisor for Hofstra Writers. Some years back I founded the Hofstra Writers Club with Prof. Erik Brogger and Prof. Connie Roberts – and with Erik being a playwright and Connie a poet, we were able to get that all-important range of perspectives at the onset.

I would have to say that some of the most enjoyable times I’ve had at Hofstra have been through that group. The kids there are very serious about writing, which in a workshop – where students are often there to fulfill a requirement and don’t normally consider it as a passion or a career – is not always the case. Obviously, however, you get a wide range of students coming through the doors, in what is – I guess – a “semi-official” venue for their creative work; and in that setting they get to build relationships and speak freely. Actually, to that point, I was once told in regards to parenting that it’s at times best to ignore what your kids say, to sort of turn a deaf ear. Now, the genesis for that was my brother, who was a military man, told me, “A good drill sergeant never lets his recruits be insubordinate, but he will close the barracks door at night,” and that is advice I’ve applied as a parent and a teacher. It’s healthy for students and kids to be given that space where they’re free to speak their mind.

Definitely. I know firsthand how important a club the Writers group is. Getting out of the classroom and being able to interact not just with other students but with proven members of the writing community is a wonderful opportunity, and to receive the sort of approbation and encouragement of those sorts of people is really impactful. That said, with all of the different students in the club, could you speak to the importance of the exchange of ideas that takes place there? Would you say it’s positive to have so many different students with different genres analyzing each other’s work?

No question. You and I can equally recall instances of people breaking away from the kind of writing with which their most comfortable. I remember a student asking me to read his prose, and being so familiar with his work as a poet, it was a shift I was very glad to see – and it’s been important from my perspective as well: some of the best work I’ve encountered has been from Hofstra Writers and it’s made me a stronger writer too. You know, getting into teaching I wasn’t aiming to improve my own work, but it’s been a happy and truly unexpected result. In being immersed in this world of writing as a professor, you look back and sort of flip it around and say, “Well, how could it not have made me a better writer?” because, in some ways, analyzing a student’s work when it’s more problematic is very helpful. Struggling with that student’s story and trying to devise a way in which it could be better, in which the problems could be solved, is in many ways more rewarding than reviewing stronger works, which you could just check off and hand back. So, it’s beneficial not only for students but for faculty as well.

Obviously I’ve had a very long association with Hofstra and I’ve long had a dream of working here as a full-time professor. It’s a very important place for me, so I would just like to include that when evaluating teachers at the University level, it’s important that we not only take full-time professors into account but adjuncts as well.

I never had the fortune of taking a fiction workshop taught by you, but instead I’ve gotten to know you through Hofstra Writers; and in talking to students who’ve attended your workshops and speaking with you personally, I can really speak to the impact you’ve had. And it’s true of Connie (Roberts) as well: you can really feel the admiration the students have for adjunct professors. So, I would just – to that end – like to thank you.

That’s very kind.

I would also like to thank you again for taking the time to do this interview with me, but if I could ask you one more thing: do you have any advice for parents of English majors?

That’s a very interesting question. You know, my son just entered his first year at college as a major in architectural engineering, so I understand how kids often go in different directions (than their parents). Over the years, I’ve encountered some really impressive work and, when that’s the case, I’ll ask for the student to speak with me after class fully expecting them to be Creative Writing majors; but what I often find is that they’re pre-law or pre-med. They’ll tell me that they wish they could study creative writing but worry about its practical applications; and I’m quick to tell them that I keep in touch with friends who have baccalaureate writing degrees and graduate writing degrees – some of my friends from Columbia, even – and they’re not always writing for a career. They’re doing a lot of interesting work in a lot of interesting fields. So, I guess my one word to parents would be to allow and encourage your children to follow what they’re passionate about, because when you’re deciding at age seventeen, eighteen, nineteen what you’re going to be doing at age thirty, something could come up and change your plans. Sooner or later life will force some compromises, but seventeen, eighteen, nineteen? It’s a tender time to neglect your dreams. Pursue your passion and if you need a fallback, so be it – I’ve certainly had mine: I’ve worked in aviation, I’ve worked as a teacher, as a journalist and a writer; so I would say that you should allow your kids to use their time in college to pursue whatever their passions may be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill McGee is a contributor to Time and Consumer Reports among other publications. A former consumer advocate on the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Future of Aviation Advisory Committee, his book Attention All Passengers: The Airlines' Dangerous Descent -- and How to Reclaim Our Skies is available for purchase online.  To reserve a copy please follow the link below.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/attention-all-passengers-william-j-mcgee/1110766573?ean=9780062088376

- Nolan Meditz, Graduate Assistant at the Office of Parent and Family Programs

25 comments:

1. regards.
    I said he was happy to visit, information on shering sting interesting.
    And I apologize if my visit leaves traces in the bogs you this.

toko alat bantu sex pria dan wanita
    jual mainan sex pria dan juga wanita
    sex toys pria wanita terbaru.

ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting information and satisfy certainly can create a page popular, successful greetings
    perfileman Alat bantu wanita.
    perfileman Alat bantu pria.
    jual Alat bantu murah
    jual dildo murah

ReplyDelete
  3. alat bantu sex I was quite happy and satisfied after seeing and listening articles gentlemen, It is extremely helpful to me.
    Alat bantu sex murah.
    alat bantu pria sex.
    sex alat bantu wanita.

ReplyDelete
  4. Ray bans clubmaster cathy any time an individual new reserve isn really as mortality-obsessed for the reason that her earlier pair of ray bans clubmaster cathy individual documents, 2008 "When That you are Engulfed for Fire,In it key ray bans clubmaster cathy feeling remains the sensation the fact that the various other trainer is normally dropping. Writing about ray bans clubmaster cathy his particular ill-fated make an effort to elevate coastal turtles as a kid -- ends up it not possible to copy salt water by flowing salt inside standard water -- the person product recalls the way his own assortment 3rd thererrrs r Sac Longchamp esearch vacation directed her so that ray bans clubmaster cathy you can slip upon not one but two people throughout flagrante delicto on the ray bans clubmaster cathy restroom. "The men of all ages did an item indecent, along with seeing it many of these resulted in I had produced a regarding it.

My name is Mike Barcia I am the sales manager at Maximum Audio Video/Buzz-Off Alarms Stereos and Tint in Tampa Fl. I have been married for over 12 years to my Beautiful wife Heather where we have 2 little girls Madison 8 years old and Brooke who is now 3. I am a Mini Trucker by heart I have been in the ray bans clubmaster cathy scene since where to buy oakley sunglasses cheap 1991 so I have been in it for a while! I am a member of Negative Camber truck club the Florida Chapter Since Feb.

The money was supposed to be spent on reinforcements this summer and all was to be well. All is never well at St James Park, and Pardew's team hasn't really gotten any better or ray bans clubmaster cathy worse this ray bans clubmaster cathy summer. The surprise sale of captain Kevin Nolan to relegated West Ham did little to increase the mood around ray bans clubmaster cathy the club and Pardew seems keen to remodel Newcastle into a mid-table Ligue 1 side.

Nike Store Online You Nike Shoe Sale see, our own mess up, To a floor. Upon bath, To the bottom. By lady's hole, To the bottom. As ray bans clubmaster cathy they say "every dark cloud has a silver lining" well, so does this grey situation! You ray bans clubmaster cathy see when the batteries are to be replaced obviously a new one is to be bought; those new batteries generate thousands of dollars in income and advertisement opportunities in the form of websites that sell these products. Laptop batteries are exclusively usable for the model for which they were originally designed. You can have entire stores or websites dedicated to only selling laptop batteries,

Adidas Grace Mid Sleek Light Blue Women Shoes. We have become a society of multi-tasking do nothings. Adidas Jeremy Scott ray bans clubmaster cathy 2.0. That's just how it goes. outlet oakley When I first got to Camp Phoenix I felt bad about haggling with people who have so much less than I do. It is just part cheap oakley shades of the game though ray bans clubmaster cathy

ReplyDelete
  5. That was an interesting interview with Professor Bill and I have enjoyed reading it. Additionally, I have known how the Hofstra University runs its programs and I am looking forward to enrolling in their online journalism degree programs. Meanwhile, Hofstra Students should feel free to access our writing services by submitting requests such as “Format My Primary Data Dissertation” to our professional writers.

ReplyDelete
  6. Its great to see that the Interview with Hofstra Professor Bill McGee went very well, and this is not only an interview but also a conversation that many readers we gain from in terms of communication skills. Take time to check an article professional writing, and also learn how easy it is to find highly trained writers for hire

ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete