Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Experience as a Graduate Assistant

For the past year, I have worked as a graduate assistant in the Office of Parent & Family Programs and in Communications for Student Affairs. Though it has been difficult at times to balance academic responsibilities with in-office priorities, my graduate assistantship has allowed me to develop the skills I need as I prepare for the world beyond our campus.

Throughout my graduate assistantship, I learned how to manage my time effectively. From helping out with Fall Festival and Debate 2012 to preparing for Commencement and Parent Orientation, I certainly had a full schedule. That said, the Student Affairs staff was undeniably helpful, and with their support I was able to acclimate to the standards of office life. This allowed me to understand what colleagues will expect of me as I take the next step forward in my field.

Furthermore, as an aspiring writer, I was able to hone my craft by contributing to both parent and student blogs. Every week or so I had the privilege of gathering information, taking photos and even interviewing Hofstra students and staff about important events on campus. My time in Student Affairs not gave me a chance to see what goes on behind the scenes of our campus events, it allowed me to play a significant role in ensuring these events came together.

There are myriad ways to gain professional experience on campus, whether through Student Employment or the Career Center. Whereas the former provides listings of paying jobs on campus, the latter can help with everything from mock interviews and resume building to off-campus internship and job searches. Moreover, they are holding Quick Question hours this summer, which are visible through their online calendar here.

4 comments: