Monday, March 15, 2021

Staying Together

Staying Together

My freshman year of college ended a lot differently than I had expected. On March 8, 2020, I got an email around 10pm saying that I wouldn’t have classes leading up to Spring break. I think myself and a lot of my peers saw this coming. The Coronavirus had just been detected in Washington state. 

The coronavirus had been sitting in the back of my head for quite some time at this point. The office I worked at on campus had been the main hub for all talk Covid-19. Everyday I worked I heard all about Covid, the new updates, and what Hofstra was planning to do. I couldn’t escape the topic even if I tried.

Once home, my family and I realized how boring it is to be stuck in the house all day everyday. Not only that, but my step family (who we didn’t live with at the time) was an hour away so we didn’t see them much. Masks were just becoming a thing and social distancing was starting to arise. There were a lot of unknowns and we didn’t want to risk anything. 

Soon after we decided to hunker down, I began planning fun events for my whole family to partake in. These events happened once a week, where we all got together for dinner and whatever I had planned. Our first dinner was called “Family Costume Party.” I used the website Evite to create a fun invitation and then sent it out to everyone in the family. 

There was only one rule. You couldn’t buy anything for a costume. Whatever you wanted to dress up as, you had to do it yourself. And let me tell ya, I was not disappointed with the outcome. My parents dressed up as Forrest Gump and Jenny, my sister as Squidward, my other sister as Elder Price from the musical The Book of Mormon, and myself as that crazy girl from the movie Finding Nemo. It was awesome.

Some other events we had were “Family Quiz Night”, “Lord of the Rings”, “Tiger King Dinner”, and a “Tour of Italy.” For my sister’s birthday, we had a The Office themed birthday party. Everyone dressed up as their favorite character from The Office and added their own special touches. 

I captured pictures from all of them to create a photo album at the end of the year. Looking back on them now, I don’t see a family in the middle of a pandemic, I see my family, all together, having fun.

Hannah Rowe '23
Undergraduate Assistant