Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Thanksgiving Homestay

Third from left, Amada Abad with her family and Hofstra students
During this Thanksgiving break, the Office of Parent and Family Programs and the Multicultural & International Student Programs Office (MISPO) offered a “Thanksgiving Homestay” for Hofstra students to experience Thanksgiving at someone’s home.  Last year, two international students celebrated with one family.  This year, two families of current Hofstra students hosted six international students. This was the first Thanksgiving for most of these students. 

Ms. Amada Abad kindly hosted a group of Hofstra students at her home and filled us in with her experience: 

"I don't know where to begin. I will begin by saying thank you, thank you! We had an amazing Thanksgiving  with Jelly, Yina and Mona. The students were so helpful, respectful, interesting. Every time we sat down for a meal or tea that they brought us, or Ecuadorian coffee that I brought from Ecuador over the summer, it  was at least a two or three hour interesting conversation. We wanted to know about China and the students wanted to know about the American ways. We talked about their country, language, culture and politics. My friends always kid me because I say that I want to visit a country that I can  visit people I know, and I used to tell them that I did not go to China because I did not know anybody, but that changed this weekend because the students told they expect me to visit them in China! Over the Thanksgiving dinner, my family hosted 18 people. My husband's family, Celia's high school friend from Guatemala and her family were also part of the celebration, and I, from Ecuador--a truly international table.I could go on and on. I hope the students had as good time as we had with them. I have been telling everybody that I feel as if I have gone to China this week. The language barrier was not a problem at all. Next year, I will happily host again with the same students or with another group. I expressed that the students can come and visit us anytime.

The students were very polite, humble, they appreciated everything we gave them and they tried all sorts of new foods and as I said before, they were very helpful in the kitchen. All three students worked very hard helping me with the meals."

Amada with delicious refreshments
From Yina Peng, the first year graduate school student from China:

“I really appreciate that I had this wonderful experience. This is a great chance to get familiar with American life and different customs. 

I stayed with Mr. Murray, Alan's family for three days. And I learned a lot of American and Latin American traditional food. Everything was so new to me. We cooked the Thanksgiving dinner together and drove around their small town. We had a lot of fun and I hope I can keep in contact with this nice family. 

I'm very grateful to the Office of Parent and Family Programs, MISPO, and this wonderful volunteer family! ”

Xiaokan Chen, an exchange student from China recounts her Thanksgiving break with the Mohammed family:

“I really enjoyed the Thanksgiving at the Mohammed family. They are very nice and wonderful people! We had great dinner, pleasant chats and watched a wonderful movie together. Thank you so much for such a wonderful program! This would be one of my best experience in America.”

If your family is interested in hosting students for future events (both international and U.S. students
who cannot get home for Thanksgiving), please contact parents@hofstra.edu.

3 comments: