Friday, November 9, 2012

Commuting Through a Winter Wonderland?

Wow, winter came early this year! With much of the area still reeling from the impact of Hurricane Sandy, mother nature decided to deal us yet another blow by sending in a mid-autumn snowstorm. I can say from experience how weather like this wrecks havoc on a morning commute, and I can also tell you how important it is to make sure your commuting student is prepared for changing, erratic seasons. So, I've prepared below a few helpful tips and reminders to make sure your student can make it to and from campus safely.

1. Pack an ice scraper, snow broom, shovel, extra pair of gloves, de-icer. Now, these are particularly important if your student has a car. Jostling for parking and scraping clean one's windshield are not daily occurrences for anyone planning to take a bus or the train.  That said, many students who commute have their own car on campus and when the snow falls or rain turns icy they need to make sure they can clean off their windows without losing feeling in their fingers (again, I speak from experience here). You would be surprised how many times I got out of class to find my car looking like something the abominable snowman would drive and I had nothing but a tennis racquet to dig my tires out. De-icer spray may seem like a suburban comfort, but it totally saves the day. Scrape and spray some if on the windshield, and bam, your student is ready for safe driving with clear windows and mirrors.

2. Have them download a flashlight app or give them the real thing. Even if your student doesn't drive a car into campus, this is a handy item to keep around. The interior of a car after a snowstorm is dark so again if your student has to clear his or her windows after a storm such as we had this week, a flashlight would allow them to find their handy ice scraper without much fuss. The best thing is, there are flashlight apps for smart phones so if you don't have a pocket flashlight that your student can use, suggest that they download a free flashlight app (there are tons). The LED lights which accompany phones are quite powerful so these can be even more helpful than a garden-variety flashlight.

3. Urge your student to give themselves extra time. This is the single most important thing for a commuter to do in times of inclement weather. Whether your student needs to check an updated MTA/LIRR schedule or just needs to leave the house before that second cup of coffee, it is imperative that they give themselves enough leeway to deal with the possibility of heavy traffic, poor road conditions and less public transportation.

4. Encourage them to make friends with resident students. Sometimes classes end late. Sometimes the roads are dangerous. And sometimes a residential friend can be a student's savor when Father Winter huffs and puffs a nor'easter their way. Stay worry free when your student is warm on campus watching the snow fall with a cup of hot cocoa from C-Square.

Thankfully, the weather in the coming days is slated to be much more pleasant than it has these past couple weeks. Still, these are always things you should keep in mind for your student to make sure their trip to and from campus is as safe and enjoyable as possible.

21 comments:

1. “We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.”

Agen Judi Online Terpercaya
    Berita Bola

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Article. Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. I would like say thanks for this post. Here are some useful links for stdudents all across the globe. These tips may help me in the future. A high-standard post with all imperative information.
      Final Year Project Domains for CSE
      IEEE Project Centers in Chennai

JavaScript Training in Chennai
      JavaScript Training in Chennai

Delete
  2. 15 best root apps for android without pc howtoandroitroot
    the 8 best monitor for photo editing under 500 the8best
    free download supersu root apk tool bestandroidtoroot

ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, introduce, we are the place for the T-shirt maker in Jogja. We can produce the best quality shirts and polo shirts in Jogja.

Check our website at
    pabrik konveksi baju anak

ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing in this article obat bius cair I can a lot and could also be a reference obat pembesar penis herbal

ReplyDelete
  5. Cari tempat buat kaos jogja, amanah garment adalah solusi terbaik untuk anda.
    Kami spesialis pembuat kaos, polo shirt dan kemeja murah di jogja.

Tempat kami memiliki keunggulan antara lain :
    1. Harga murah
    2. Garansi Produk
    3. Pabrik Miliki Sendiri
    4. Berpengalaman bertahun bertahun

Segera hubungi kami untuk mendapatkan penawaran terbaik.

ReplyDelete
  6. Today's lottery gambling games are not foreign in Indonesia, because indeed it has been starting since long ago this game is often played by gamblers in Indonesia. Because of the risk of gambling in Indonesia so now it has also been held online with the advantages that you feel more and more. You can play togel singapura Online Game in a trusted city. One of them is to join directly with us Bolalotto!

ReplyDelete
  7. The trusted and largest online lottery site in Asia, register now and get a deposit bonus up to IDR. Hurry up, register in the biggest togel hongkong online lottery in Asia, only in Bolalotto!

ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, winter came early this year! With much of the area still reeling from the impact of Hurricane Sandy, mother nature decided jasa ekspedisi murah ke Sulawesi to deal us yet another blow by sending in a mid-autumn snowstorm. I can say from ex

ReplyDelete
  9. A principios de este mes, el laboratorio de jual masker spirulina asli co-creación 5TONIC fue anfitrión de los miembros del equipo del proyecto europeo 5G-EVE dentro de la agenda de la primera reunión plenaria del grupo en Madrid.

ReplyDelete
  10. This is the single most important thing for a commuter Rental mobil CRV Bandung

to do in times of inclement weather.

ReplyDelete
  11. ecided to deal us yet another blow by rental mobil fortuner Bandung sending in a mid-autumn snowstorm. I can say from experience how weather like this wre

ReplyDelete
  12. Pack an ice scraper, snow broom, shovel, extra pair of gloves, de-icer. Now, these are particularly
    ekspedisi kalimantan important if your student has a car. Jostling for parking and scraping clean one's windshield a

ReplyDelete
  13. h of the area still reeling from the impact of Hurricane Sandy, mother nature decided to deal us yet sewa mobil bandung murah another blow by sending in a mid-autumn snowstorm. I ca

ReplyDelete
  14. grupo fue organizada en sus oficinas de Madrid por Ericsson, empresa miembro de 5TONIC, que se aseguró de ekspedisi jakarta ke surabaya murah que la agenda incluyera una visita al laboratorio de co-creación, designado por 5G-EVE como una de las instalaciones clave de pruebas

ReplyDelete
  15. be surprised how many times I got out of class to find my car looking like something the abominable snowman would drive and I had nothing but a tennis racquet to dig my tires out. De-icer spray may seem like a suburban comfort, but it Jasa ekspedisi murah ke Kalimantan totally saves the day. Scrape and spray some if on the windshield, and bam, your student is ready for safe driving with clear windows and mirrors.

ReplyDelete
  16. car on campus and when the snow falls or rain turns icy they need to make sure they Peninggi Badan Tiens can clean off their windows without losing feeling in their fingers (again, I speak from experience here). You would be su

ReplyDelete
  17. ho commute have their own car on campus and when the snow falls or rain turns icy they need to make sure they can clean off their windows without losing feeling in their fingers (again, paket kirim motor jakarta surabaya I speak from experience here). You would be surprised how many times I got out of class to find my car looking like something the abominable snowman would drive and I had nothing but a tennis racquet to dig my tires out. De-i

ReplyDelete