Monday, November 19, 2012

Interview with Delta Alpha Pi President, Brian Singer

Brian Singer is the President of Delta Alpha Pi, an honor society associated with Services for Students with Disabilities, and he was generous enough to sit down with me and discuss what his honor society does and how it works to reach out to students with disabilities and get them involved in their community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for coming, Brian.  So first off, could you please give us some basic information about Delta Alpha Pi?
Certainly.  Delta Alpha Pi is an honor society here on campus that inducts students who are registered with the Services for Students with Disabilities office and have grade point averages higher than 3.1.  We're relatively new, started in 2010, and I am actually one of the only original members remaining.  A lot of our inductees graduated throughout these past couple of years, but we're about to add 22 new members to our ranks this semester; and because we've had so many students graduate, we've actually been inducting on a semesterly basis.

That's fantastic.  It's great to know this is really a thriving piece of campus life.  Tell me, what does your society do for its members? What kind of events do you hold?
Well, again, since we're still pretty new on campus we're still trying to get involved in more events, but we did co-sponsor "Jail-and-Bail," which was a fundraiser event that we worked with Hofstra Goes for Gold and OSLA, where the proceeds went to Special Olympics.  Students were able to purchase "warrants" out for another students arrest.  Public Safety would find the individual based on the details provided in the warrant and bring them to a wooden jail which was set up in the middle of the student center.  The jailed student would then have to raise "bail" money by any available means to be released.  Everything was completely voluntary, we were able to raise $6,600 for special Olympics, and we plan on making this an annual event!

That sounds like a lot of fun for a great cause.  Do you do any other kinds of outreach?
We also get connected with employers in the area to make sure our members have opportunities to find jobs after leaving campus.  It's great because a lot of the employers actually reach out to us because they know we provide that resource for students with disabilities and these employers are eager equal-opportunity employers.  When we meet, we want to make sure we provide all of the services our members need and keep them informed about what is available for them.  If they're looking for it, it's out there.

How often do you meet?
We try to meet about once every month.  Obviously, we want wheelchair accessible rooms and we understand some of our members have trouble getting around so while we want to meet as often as possible, we don't want to make things difficult. And as I said before, we use our meeting times to inform our members and make sure they know what's available to them. In the early days our meetings were based a lot on our e-board (the Treasurer, Secretary, Vice-President and President), but now that we've been around for a while and we're organized, we want to focus as much as we can on our members.

What advice would you give to the parents and families of students with disabilities?
My advice would be that parents should tell their students not to be afraid to step out of their comfort zone.  They shouldn't be afraid of the stigma of having a disability, they should be confident and overcome it.  They should learn to be their own number one advocates.

If you have a student with a disability and would like to learn more about what services Hofstra University can offer him or her, please visit the Services for Students with Disabilities website here: http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffairs/stddis/index.html

37 comments:

1. Congratulations on the new office and your position! I look forward to staying informed about your sustainability efforts on campus.Agen Judi Online Terpercaya

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Article. Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. I would like say thanks for this post. Here are some useful links for stdudents all across the globe. These tips may help me in the future. A high-standard post with all imperative information.
      Final Year Project Domains for CSE
      IEEE Project Centers in Chennai

JavaScript Training in Chennai
      JavaScript Training in Chennai

Delete

2. I Appreciate, Cause I Found Just What I Was Looking For. You've Ended My Four Day Long Hunt! God Bless You Man. Have A Nice Day. Bye Agen Judi Online

ReplyDelete
  3. “I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”

Agen Judi Online Terpercaya
    Berita Bola

ReplyDelete
  4. the 8 best 15 inch laptop under 1000 the8best
    kingroot for pc english version topappsforpc
    the 8 best canon lens for portraits and wedding photography the8best

ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, introduce, we are the place for the T-shirt maker in Jogja. We can produce the best quality shirts and polo shirts in Jogja.

Check our website at
    pabrik baju murah

ReplyDelete
  6. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.

หวย-ออนไลน์

ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing in this article obat bius wanita I can a lot and could also be a reference obat pembesar alat vital

ReplyDelete
  8. Cari tempat buat kaos jogja, amanah garment adalah solusi terbaik untuk anda.
    Kami spesialis pembuat kaos, polo shirt dan kemeja murah di jogja.

Tempat kami memiliki keunggulan antara lain :
    1. Harga murah
    2. Garansi Produk
    3. Pabrik Miliki Sendiri
    4. Berpengalaman bertahun bertahun

Segera hubungi kami untuk mendapatkan penawaran terbaik.

ReplyDelete
  9. Daftarkan diri anda sekarang dan ajak teman-teman anda bermain di dewapoker juga untuk membuka promo bonus referral poker online dari Dewapoker. DewaPoker adalah situs penyedia game poker dan poker online terbaik di Indonesia.

ReplyDelete
  10. s students who are dimana yg jual masker spirulina registered with the Services for Students with Disabilities office and have grade point averages higher than 3.1. We're relatively new

ReplyDelete
  11. relatively new, distributor resmi peninggi badan tiens started in 2010, and I am actually one of the only original members remaining. A lot of our inductees graduated throughout these past couple of years, but we're about to add 22 new members to our ranks this semester; and because we've had so many students graduate, we'

ReplyDelete
  12. abilities office and have distributor resmi peninggi badan tiens grade point averages higher than 3.1. We're relatively new, started in 2010, and I am actually one of the only original members remaining. A lot of our inductees graduated throughout these pas

ReplyDelete
  13. onor society here on campus that inducts students who are registered with the Services for Students with Disabilities office and have grade point averages higher than 3.1. ekspedisi kalimantan
    We're relatively new, started in 2010, and I am actually one of the only original members remaining. A lot

ReplyDelete
  14. Brian Singer is the President of Delta Alpha Pi, an honor society associated with Services for Students with Disabilities, and he was generous enough pengiriman barang ke sulawesi to sit down with me and discuss what his honor society does and how it works to reach out to students with disabilities and get them involved in their community.

ReplyDelete
  15. e basic information about Delta Alpha Pi?
    Certainly. Delta Alpha Pi is an honor society here on campus that inducts students who are registered with the Services for Students with Disabilities kirim barang ke papua office and have grade point averages higher than 3.1. We're relatively new, started in 2010, and I am actually one of the only original members remaining. A lot of our inductees graduated throughout these past couple of y

ReplyDelete
  16. คาสิโนออนไลน์ที่น่าเชื่อถือและมีความเป็นมืออาชีพที่สุดในตอนนี้
    โปรโมชั่นGclub ของทางทีมงานตอนนี้แจกฟรีโบนัส 50%
    เพียงแค่คุณสมัคร สล็อตออนไลน์ กับทางทีมงานของเราเพียงเท่านั้น
    ร่วมมาเป็นส่วนหนึ่งกับเว็บไซต์คาสิโนออนไลน์ของเราได้เลยค่ะ
    สมัครสล็อตออนไลน์ >>> Goldenslot
    สนใจร่วมสนุกกับ คาสิโนออนไลน์ คลิ๊กได้เลย
    มีทั้งคาสิโนออนไลน์ หวยออนไลน์ ฟุตบอลออนไลน์ สล็อตออนไลน์ และอื่นๆอีกมากมาย

ReplyDelete

17. شركة نقل عفش
    اهم شركات مكافحة حشرات بالخبر كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذلك شركة رش حشرات بالدمام ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة الجوهرة من افضل شركات تنظيف الخزانات بجدة حيث ان تنظيف خزانات بجدة يحتاج الى مهارة فى كيفية غسيل وتنظيف الخزانات الكبيرة والصغيرة بجدة على ايدى متخصصين فى تنظيف الخزانات بجدة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش واثاث

ReplyDelete

18. شركة نقل عفش بالرياض وجدة والدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام

ReplyDelete
  19. This type of gambling is believed to be able to provide better gambling advantages. You can get the satisfaction of playing with a variety of better benefits. With the right way, you can find trusted gambling sites easily. One of them is only on online gambling sites http://www.indoqq2019.com/ that you can play and certainly be trusted!

ReplyDelete
  20. Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossip and net stuff and this is actually irritating. A good blog with interesting content, this is what I need. Thanks for making this website, and I will be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?

Vedic Astrologers in Chennai
    Vedic Astrologer in India
    Vedic Astrologer in Chennai
    Astrologer in India
    Astrology Consultant in India
    Astrology Consultant in Chennai
    Numerologist in Chennai
    Numerology Consultant
    Numerology Consultant in Chennai
    Horoscope Consultant in Chennai
    Gemstone Consultant in Chennai
    Marriage Matching in Chennai
    Vastu Consultant in Chennai

ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for discussing about the topics. The topics can be said one of the well written about this topics. I have saved your site and will come back and visit it regularly. Kenyamanan dan keamanan dalam bermain slot online hanya bisa didapatkan pada saat Anda bermain bersama agen slot online MPO007. Jangan salah pilih dalam bermain permainan slot online, hanya MPO007 pilihan Anda sebagai Agen Slot Online Terlengkap di Indonesia Situs Slot Online

ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful and excellent blog. Rich in contents and the design is amazing. It amaze me start the moment that i visit your site and by visiting your site, i have learned few things that i can use to improve my own blog site. Thank you so much. MPO2QQ sebagai agen slot online dengan nominal jackpot progressive terbesar dan juga berbagai jenis permainan slot online terlengkap dan terbesar di Indonesia. Dapatkan bonus permainan slot online hingga 100% pada saat anda bermain bersama situs slot online MPO2QQ

ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing in this article I can a lot and could also be a reference Kunjungi Website I hope to read the next your article update

ReplyDelete